Sunday, November 14, 2010

Women's Basketball Season Is Here!


Georgia Tech Women's Basketball kicked-off the season Friday November 12, 2010 at 5:00pm against Sharon Bladwin-Tener's Georgia State University Team. Before I got in depth about the game, I am going to back up a few weeks. I was given the opportunity to attend the Atlanta Tip Off Club Women's Basketball Preview Luncheon held at the America's Mart in Atlanta. Georgia, Georgia Tech, Georgia State, and Kennesaw State were the four schools in the spot light. I met some very interesting people (Beth Bass - WBCA, Kathy Betty - Dream, Debbie Antonelli - Fox/ESPN) who make a difference in this sport. Prior to arriving, I received a text from a friend and realized was a mutual friend between Coach Sharon Baldwin-Tener and me - long story, she told me what a terrific person Coach Baldwin-Tener is and I have to give it to her, she was correct. She has a lot of personality and lights up a room when she speaks. Debbie Antonelli asked her, "Georgia Tech plays everyone in this room and has you first. Two schools are less than five miles apart, so will you drive or walk?" Coach Baldwin-Tener's response, "I think we'll fly" and the place laughed. She then looked over at Coach MaChelle Joseph and said, "I actually think you should come pick us up!" Just a lot of fun and laughs from her.

Back to the game - We opened up the season against Coach Baldwin-Tener's team. GSU came out shooting and started out looking good, but GT's strenght and expierence took over and before long , GT was up by 20. While I made my way around Alexander Memorial shaking hands and thank folks for coming, I met a lot of new people that were interesting and thanked me for allowing them the opportunity to attend a game. What a great feeling it is to meet as many as I could and just talk to them about this sport and having the knowledge and professionalism to talk about the coaching staff and administration and thanking fans for them.

The season has started and my head is starting to turn and thoughts run through my head as we are now on our way to championships. We are at Old Dominion today against Wendy Larry's Lady Monarchs where 7/12 players exceed 6 foot. This is our first road game of the season and I know we will be tested but I have confident that Coach MaChelle Joseph will have us ready to be tested. We have a 2:00 tip-off, so tune in for updates.

From a cool and cloudy Atlanta, IT's Basketball SUNDAY!

Clay

1 comment:

K Gordon said...

Thanks for sharing your GTWBB perspective! Being a GTWBB season tix holder is the best value in Atlanta plus the games are great. Come join us for Wednesday's game. Clay is our head "GTWBB Cheerleader"!